AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We Step Away A Bit: News Flows Daily...We Spend Good Days With My Daughters...It Always Shows You The Way...


By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Editor

AUSTIN, Texas - When they were younger, my two daughters always wondered why I was forever on the road. They would greet me at the airport in Dallas/Fort Worth as if greeting some long-lost family member, me arriving and dashing off to the gift shop to buy them their presents - usually stuffed animals. Whatever big Journalism story I felt had been important enough to take me away for a few days wasn't as much of a big deal to them. They rarely asked me about my work.

My oldest daughter, her husband and their kids left last night, back to Fort Worth. My youngest is still here, but she flies out in the morning, back to New York. I have been blessed these last four days. It is true: we often fly-off the map and get involved with things that have, in the long run, very little import to our particular lives. Things that seem serious normally aren't, and things that bother us really shouldn't.

So, this morning we will set aside the news foibles of this or that politician, this or that issue roiling state government, this or that event crippling people overseas. There are times when we just have to get off the rolling commentary train that, you know, can absolutely go on without us. Enjoy the day.

We know that we'll jump back into the news fray sooner or later. It, too, is what we are. Human Beings need a certain amount of noise, if only to know that they are alive. Life without hassles, conflict, argument, debate, competition and all that jazz is not life. Or, is it?

I write too much, is my feeling. But I do seem to do it faster and get it out of the way when I know my girls are in the house, one upstairs and the one with her family downstairs in that bedroom, a kid on the living room couch and two others on the futon alongside the fireplace.

My coffee was brewed early today, as we ready to head downtown to South Congress Street, to the vintage clothing shops my younger daughter loves. Who knows? I'll live every second of the day being with her, talking with her and hearing her voice. What used to be such a big part of my Younger Dad life has evolved into seeing her once a year, when I go up to see her usually. Chats on the telephone are okay, but much is lost when you can't hug your kid.

It'll be good today, and then I'll be sad as all hell in the morning when we she packs and we then drive to the airport. Once, she was with me for days on end, when she was a child. Once, her face and voice painted my days and evenings.

She's leaving tomorrow. I'll see her in the Fall in the Big Apple and we'll surely laugh together once more. I marvel at how our kids can be our kids in any setting, whether the Texas Hill Country or the city. I'll remember this visit, our meals at Matt's El Rancho on South Lamar here, at Salt Lick in nearby Driftwood, at Mi Tierra in San Antonio, at Juan-In-A-Million. Yes, it's all been like pure oxygen for me, the purist essence of fatherhood.

I wish there was more time...

- 30 -

21 comments:

Ralph said...

thank you. That was a beautiful story. I was beginning to think that Kori Marra was all we would read about. Family, man. Family is what it's all about. I thank you.

Anonymous said...

Exellent article.Yes we should all do that. agree. family is most important.

Mary Lou Tovarez said...

What a nice write up, thank you for reminding us about other things in life.
Yes, enjoy your family, yes buy them gifts, yes go see them and talk to them. Hug them and remind them how you love them. "The hardest thing about visiting my daughter is having to leave."
Thank you, for your article. At the end we are just human beings.

Sessi said...

Loved your essay, that is right family first, at the end it is about the family. A daughter will always be his dad's little girl, always!!

Anonymous said...

Good post, yes children grow up and leave and soon they have a family, and parents get lost in the mix.
Sessi, is right, daughters are always their fathers little girls.

Anonymous said...

Good, no politics today, good post Mr. Editor. La Familia es numero uno, always.

Anonymous said...

Living in a travel trailer 10X24 is not easy. Haven't seen the first family in almost 23 years. Originally, I am from Danville Illinois.
It is difficult, to see your children grow up and begin their lifes as adults. My four daughters and three boys are doing well. I still miss them. In late August when the weather starts chillin' I plan to take me a trip.
But your comments are real touching.
Raymond Bufford Jones.

Anonymous said...

Daughters are special.

Anonymous said...

Our other blogs fall all over themselves with silly and small time news. The Tribune moves to the speed of Life. Exellent story & good music. thank you. Again.

Hector said...

No, we don't see this kind of writing on thebother two Harlingen blogs. Agree that The Tribune offer a better news outlet. And don't even bring up the blog of that dwarf! Stay away from there if you want to save your brains.

Anonymous said...

Sons and daughters are very special.

Anonymous said...

"And don't bring in that blog", Anon his bombastic comments don't work anymore. 3 K/M stories 3 comments.
You're not whistling dixie, he is finished. Out classed by the Trib and Jumping Jerry Deal. Ya se te acabo.

Anonymous said...

hey, maybe Chapaneco fears the U.S. drones will fly over his house and out him. Is he an American citizen? He won't say. Sonso.

El De Los Fresnos said...

that menso chapaneco is asking people to talk against Kori Marra at city hall during the next meeting. pendejo. he doesn't understand a damn thing. Her district people may ask her to resign. Chapa may not even be a US citizen! Is he retarded?

Anonymous said...

His so stupid he thinks people will believe that his comments go in 24 hours after they are posted. Chapaneco has lost the blog war and he doesn't know what to do. Kori Marra came out on top in the end, Chapaneco! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Korri Marra won't give Champaneco or Juan Ortega the time of day.
Juan Supports her and is forever defending her. Champaneco, hates her and she won't speak to either one. Poor Losers.

Anonymous said...

Korri didn't show up at the Harlingen commission meeting today. Doesn't happy hours begins at 5pm untill 8pm??? Okay, that explains it.

Pedro said...

So Patrick, when your daughters were young they would see you leave and then return.
Now, you see them come to visit you and then you watch them leave. It is the family cycle bro.

Anonymous said...

Man, the blogs are silent today, I guess it is Wednesday, nothing going in Harlingen. The Commission meeting was mostly executive session. Kind of boring.

Nora G. said...

Don't Miss indurstand me, Harlingen is always boring, but today it was extra boring.

Anonymous said...

To all the bloggers at the Trib, May everyone have a good St. Patricks day. Enjoy, drink and be marry. Becaureful, the cops don't believe in drinking and driving, get an assign driver if you must, old fellow.