AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Sunday, May 8, 2011

On Mother's Day, A Bit Of Yesteryear...What To Say?...Where To Begin?...

By EDUARDO PAZ-MARTINEZ
Editor-In-Chief

McALLEN, Texas - A long time ago, when my life was that of a child, it was always my mother's view of the world that framed my days. This is Mother's Day weekend, the third one I observe without her. And although my Life is a nice Life these days, I'd trade it in a jiffy to once again be eight years old, or nine, or ten, once more in her care, in her comfort and in her world.

My big-hearted mother no doubt was no different than other mothers who raised their kids in the Rio Grande Valley of the 1950s and 1960s - a time when drugs did not ruin the young, but also a time when the struggle was no less easier. We didn't have much back then. My stepfather worked as  butcher at a local grocery store. He did his job without complaint that I remember, and he provided for a family of six, only one his own. Those days came slow, or so it seemed. School claimed its spot on my mind. I always liked school, even the after-school marches with the Catholic nuns from elementary school for those seemingly endless Bible classes in the basement of the then new Sacred Heart Church downtown. It was during the two-three years before I started playing Little League baseball for, of all teams, the Hidalgo Lions, which had selected me after a few groundballs during player tryouts. Third base was my position. I played it like Gil McDougal of the NY Yankees played it, dirtying my uniform at every opportunity, diving at grounders that needed no diving.

It was a kid being a kid. My older brother had bought a glove for me in between punch-outs he administered just because that's what older brothers do. These days, he lives in Pharr and when we talk about those days he likes to laugh about the horseplay. I don't tell him to remember the times I was left beaten to a pulp on the floor and the severe scolding he would get from my mother. That, too, is likely shared by anyone who's had a big brother. I'm okay with it now. Perhaps those punch-outs being clear in my mind help me get back to my youth.

When my mother passed away three years ago last April, we all finally got together after years of being apart. My kid sisters moved west, to Colorado and Southern California and my younger brother to Minneapolis. It was a sad occasion, but we managed a few familial conversations. The eulogy I gave for my mother at the same Sacred Heart church where I'd studied the Bible centered on the many things she did for her children. I spoke about the time she bought me a shiny, new Baltimore Colts football helmet I would throw over my head when I took to the street in front of our house to play football with the neighborhood kids. And then one Christmas, she bought me a a sawed-off rifle used by the actor Nick Adams in a TV western whose name I forget. Who knows what happened to it.

There would be more of that over the years. Mothers are like that. They go out of their way to do the little things for their kids, to get them toys they want, clothes they want, snacks they want, even as Dad openly wonders about the why. Mothers get it. They have their priorities straight. They can hear the latest request from a child and maybe not tend to it right away, but they'll get around to it sooner or later. It's more than just parental joy; its the very essence of motherhood - perhaps the most under-appreciated human trait, the most just-expected behavior. Mothers can take crap from Dads forever when defending a child. And for that child, it is the sole saving grace when wondering what Dad will do next after that window's been broken, that furniture damaged, that bad word thrown out at the dinner table.

Thank God for mothers.

My life went places when I grew up, into the military, to the university, to a writing career in newspapers, magazines and books. My life today is another life, more comfortable, more flexible, more expensive.

I would trade it all for one day with my mother. You would, too.

Happy Mother's Day...

- 30 -

20 comments:

Ralph said...

Exellent article. I also remember my mother. We all should.

Anonymous said...

The tribune is always the blog to read. My mother died 8 years ago and I remember my mother like the editor remembes his. If your mother is still alive, spend the day with her tomorrow. and tell her what you need to tell her and what she needs to hear from you.

Lic. Justo Leyes said...

Madre querida, Madre adorada... Invitame al cine --- y tu pagas las entradas !!!

!!! HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY TO ALL !!!

Anonymous said...

Nick Adams was in the show 'Johnny Yuma.' I remember it well. The rebel is what they called him.

Johnny joe said...

I was 12 in 1962 and it was a way diferent time in the valley. You could go out and not expect to be shot by some drug punk. and you could go to Mexico and have a great, safe time. those days are gone. too bad.

Cable Guy said...

So Alcatraz is a name you use on novels. Why is Chapaneco pissing on himself about this. It only show shis ignorance. writers uses various names. mark twain did it. His real name was Samuel Clemens. Others to. Chapete is only showing his lack of education. Pinche chaparro! LARGATE, infeliz!

Anonymous said...

wonderful story about another time in your life. thank you. The Tribune rocks! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all!

Anonymous said...

Mother's Day is special even more than Father's Day. In the valley anyway. everybody knows why.

Anonymous said...

Mother's day is the best day of the year for me.

Mr. Brownsville said...

The dwarf is again attacking the Tribune. Poor man. HE's also comenting to himself. 3 comments on the Trib attack and they are all by him. Somebody go over and tell him there's life out there. Oh, wait, his wife must be at work. LOL!!!

Danny C said...

Tony Chapa's blog is Internet toilet paper.

Anonymous said...

wonder what Tony Chapa's mother thinks of him on Mother's Day? Hmmmm. is she proud of him?

El De Los Fresnos said...

That L7 we were not eve ragain going to mention here is still whining. Must be some dwarf thang. Ha ha ha ha. IGNORE HIS ASS. He's got nothing of interest to say to me or to you. His blog is dead. It's just him comenting now. true justice!

Anonymous said...

maybe Rick perry can get a job for Chapaenco. In california! largate chaparro. adios, MF!

Antonio Chafa said...

This is Tony Chapettes ... Could you please play " CUMBIA DE LA COBRA " by Fito Olivares --- For Mi Mommy, La Cholotota !!!
Thanks SIR.

El Mero Mero said...

Le faltan huevos a ese enano. Nadamas sabe chingar, como un pinche peor-es-nada. Hoy el dia de Las Madres, claro que su Madre esta muy avergonzada. Es el chapete del pueblo, senora. Amarrelo!!! Riendome Fuerte!!!

Anonymous said...

HE'S HOPELESS. Ignore his dwarf butt! can't write can't spell can't do anything well. Runs from the police and is not a US citizen. why bother with him?

Roy said...

I've always heard you can never argue with a retard cause they don't have the brain to compete. They will act like children instead. So IGNORE Chapa. It's all we can do with that idiot.

Anonymous said...

Poor zapata. he'll be forgoten soon. That's life in the valley. Gave his life for nothing.

Anonymous said...

What a good story, it is true, mothers love their children, in mysterious ways, a mother would only know, thank you for sharing this expierence.