AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Monday, January 3, 2011

In Search of Something, We Land in Central Texas...Writing Is Fighting...Novel Gets Its Way...

By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Editor-In-Chief

NEAR AUSTIN, TEXAS - There was that time when I'd hang around little Granbury up south of Fort Worth for weeks, writing who knows what and publishing a weekly newspaper that soon folded. It was my Smalltown, USA Era, a time in my life when newspapering had gotten old and magazine work was hard to get. Still, it did something to me. My days in the Big Cities wore on me for years. I was more than happy to walkabout Granbury and scarf on cookies and ice cream while taking a break from my office. Those days had me driving the 35 or so miles from our home in Fort Worth. Something told me that's what I needed to be doing, perhaps out of some desire to shed the newspaper life. It didn't last more than six months, but I loved it.

I'm up here writing my next novel - Rope - and so far it's getting itself done.

There is something very different about the Texas Hill Country as it relates to the rest of the state. In a way, it hangs onto yesterday much better, with a certain charm and a discernible get-up. You know it and feel it as soon as you amble into a coffee shop in Bastrop or Lockhart or Wimberley. All I need now is to find that tin cup I've been looking for as carrier of my usual black coffee. This morning I had a pumpkin empanada with my cup, a favorite Mexican pastry I grew addicted to in the Rio Grande Valley. It's hard passing up the pan dulce at Mi Tierra Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio's Mercado. Two empanadas, two chamucos (cookies) and a cochinito. For the road.

I don't know what's going to happen to this Blog. It's hard writing about a place when you're not there, although it is possible. But, more and more, I find myself wanting and needing the silly chats I have with people I meet around here. There's Barbara, the lanky, Big Haired waitress at Maxine's in Bastrop and Darlene, the friendly, laughing owner of The Motley Menagerie in Kyle. Darlene knows me by name after one visit. Julie at the Pie Shoppe in downtown Kyle also took time off her busy day to chat with us as we drank her coffee and enjoyed her pies. It's a breather for me, yes. And I've always said it's good to become a known-figure wherever it is you're living.

My next stop is the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. I went there once when at The Houston Post to write a story about the Hill Country becoming a mecca for retirees and I remember it served me one of the my Top 10 breakfasts of all time. That was another of those reporting assignments that forced me to take the long way home, but the story was done for the Sunday edition.

Rope is one of those serpentine tales with a multitude of characters and sub-plots. It keeps me entertained, and pissed-off.

And, yes, there are still those times when you absolutely need the Big City, which around here is Austin. It, too, has its charm. For those moments when one might tire of the quaint small towns, well it throws a Tex-Mex joint like Serrano's at you. I love its patio in winter. Stand-up heaters keep you warm, but who needs heat when you're putting away a plate of huevos rancheros with warm tortillas and hot coffee...

- 30 -

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hope you don't leave us. but we understand. There's so much out there in the world. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Good story. keep travelling!

Anonymous said...

Patrick, I have a question for you, being as you are more familiar with the tiny, tinny world of la Chapita. When he threatened me by saying that he had filed a formal complaint, did that mean he was dressed in a tuxedo while emiting a continuous nasal whine? Because I haven't heard anything by way of any legal notice and I was so looking forward to testing his mettle in the real world where he can't hide behind Jake's stink bombs. Does he always turn tail and run? Has anybody that he's threatened ever heard anything further or does he just skitter back into his cave and type furiously with his pudgy hands flying over half the keyboard (which is all he ever needs). Please let me know as my 85 year old mother was all set to check out of the nursing home, just long enough to come settle his hash and I'd hate for her to have to make the trip if he's all hunkered down and refusing to come out. M

Anonymous said...

Well, you are a valley native, the Tribune is a good blog, good stories.
I don't think everyone who blogs here expects articles about the Valley. Frankly, there isn't much to blog about, except unemployment and politics.
Heck, just enjoy the travels, and as a former blogger wrote in a post on harlingenblogs, write an article or two on this blog.
I think your fans understand that.
Stay warm, it is chilly out in the hill country. I lived in Austin and Denton Tx. and it gets cold up there.

Anonymous said...

"M", he has other people who feel sorry for him writing articles. I wouldn't worry about Chpitas poor excuse of a blog.
Maybe one or two comments, mostly from "slave boy", jakester, or something like that.
Hell, he is all talk, I was there when big Joe Rubio, called him out, he was like frightened cat. In simple words es, gallina.
Chaptita es un cobarde.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

ANONYMOUS:...We're going to keep this Blog going a little longer, hopefully with some more out-of-the-Valley commentary. We'll see... - Editor

Anonymous said...

IF you want the world's best BBQ, go to salt Lick in Buda. It's fantastic stuff. enjoy!

Anonymous said...

hey, I've been to Serrano's! thanks for the story. Took my wife there in 2005.

Anonymous said...

Give us a story on 6th Street in Austin. Is it still wild? used to hang out there when i was at U.T. rowdy joints all over the place. But it was great.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

ANONYMOUS: Sixth Street remains as busy and alive as ever. Gone, however, is a bar I used to like - The Black Cat Lounge. It tended to draw a wild crowd. Women were known to launch the first punches halfway through a Ray Wylie Hubbard song... - Editor

Anonymous said...

Patrick, Yea, how about an article on the Broken Spoke there in Austin, I use to go dancing there all the time, while I was in Austin. I heard it burned, see if you can post a picture.
Or how about the South Fork, I was there sometime back, visited a couple of dance halls. While in San Antonio, how about Cowboys, that is one big dance hall. All kinds of Gals, go there.
That is good idea, my nephews live in the area of Austin, and 6th Street use to get kind of rowdy specially after 11:00 pm.

Anonymous said...

Since Juan Montoya is going to be release from the county farm, how about a song for the Cantina man himself.
Los Cadetes de Linares, "un viejo amor".
Please, don't misunderstand me, I don't want to get Juan in a cantina mood, or drinking mood. But once a cantinero, always a cantinero.
Sorry Montoya, but the truth is the truth.

Anonymous said...

Now Patrick, how are going to get rid of some of these bums in Cameron County without the Tribune's assistance. Money Making Eddie Lucio Jr. and Oliveira need to go, and here in the valley we need all the help we can get.
Reconsider, before you put your blog in Nuetral, we already lost Harlingenblog. Two blogs down here is just not enough.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

ANONYMOUS:...The Valley's politicians will continue to be in it for themselves. That will never change, or so it seems. As for the song request, well, we've known a few friends who loved the bottle and never could walk away from a free drink. It's a disease, is what I hear. Who knows? Wine is my social drink and cheap border cantinas won't stock it. I'll say this: Every booze story I know has had a bad ending... - Editor

Anonymous said...

Thanks Patrick, Once Montoya, hears this song, tears will roll from his eyes. Probably thinking about the last beer that cost him 60 days in the slammer.
Go Juan, el siete mares is waiting for you, better still the movida bar, has it's doors open for a nice cold one.
Get well, quit drinking, the next time is 10 years on a felony, at the state farm house.

Anonymous said...

Wow, my man, good la playa bar music. Hey up in the hill country they play puro Country. If you have a chance go to Gruene dance hall. Lots of two stepping, and waltz dancing. Similiar to the Broken Spoke, pay them a visit Partick, you'll enjoy the hell out of dancing.

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to finish up my last bud light, a good ballad by a very good group. Que vivan los Cadetes de Linares.
Aver coranzoncito, Traime otro round. Puro Palms lounge, puro Brownsville, USA.