AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Look Homeward, Angel: Yeah, We're Not Always In The RGV, But, Then, Of Course We Are...

By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Editor

AUSTIN, Texas - In New York, they would tell me that my living there meant that, try as I might, I'd never be able to leave the city behind. Gotham grabs you in a certain way, they said before noting that, yeah, I'd return sooner or later. Perhaps they referred to the city's verve, that feeling that comes over you when inspiration has found your veins and everything seems possible.

I have been back to New York several times, although much of that has to do with my daughter Gabrielle living there. The city that never sleeps is special, but there's another place that holds me just as dearly:

My hometown.

McAllen and I have had this ever-raging love/hate affair since I left the Rio Grande Valley to serve the military. I never came home. My time in the U.S. Navy was followed by my years at UT-Arlington and later my Journalism career in newspapers and magazines from Houston to Boston to New York. I love McAllen because it retains my roots and because it still affords me a few visuals of those days, when I was a teenager and when my lovely mother was alive. I hate it when I see what it's become, a hodge-podge of development that speaks to money mania and not a well-thought-out journey to something unique.

What is it about our native lands?

A drive down some old familiar byway like Houston Street in McAllen sends me back decades, like when I see a downed fence fronting property I still recall from my days at Travis Junior High. Or a view of a chain link fence separating two homes, such as the one in the photo above this story. Much of McAllen has fast-forwarded to 2011, its streets now lined by new and improved business fronts, much better residential neighborhoods, the entire however-burgeoning visual of what a city should look like in the Year 2011.

It's not like I get a knot in my throat as I drive my hometown when I'm there. Too much time has passed and too much has come to McAllen in the ensuing years. The Bulldog water tower is still there just south of McHi, my old school. The old convention center on S. 10th Street, where the prom came with the music of bands such as The Troggs and Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas (school officials we were told prohibited the playing of music by the Rolling Stones, however). Still, Prom Night back then meant you chased the comfort of air-conditioned dancing in McAllen and then sultry love across the Rio Grande in Reynosa, where the clubs never closed.

I don't know. I don't know. I worry that one of these days, I'll return to the Valley and see change of the sort that will shoot my memories down the tubes, buried like black & white photos in a dusty scrapbook. Not that I've seen much. Brownsville is still Brownsville and Harlingen is still Harlingen. With few exceptions, most valley communities look as they did in the 70s, newer cars and better roads replacing the battered Chevies and Buicks and Fords of yesteryear, modern blacktops replacing caliche streets and roads that flooded in the weakest of rains. Change is good. But it does mean unexpected goodbyes.

Backward glances are said to be good for the soul. Who knows? I look back and see my back pages have turned a certain yellow in color. And while it's been a good life, I wonder how many of us wouldn't trade one year of whatever time we have left for one long weekend from back then?

I remember.

And, well, I'm grateful for that. And I appreciate being able to move down New York's crowded sidewalks and believe I belong, as I also appreciate cruising 17th Street in McAllen while knowing that I came from a few blocks over...

- 30 -

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one brought back my own memories of life in harlingen, back when we only had one high school. THanks for the story. And don't pay any mind to Tony chapa. He's way below your standing. Ignore him. Many of us do.

Anonymous said...

The LRGV, is just the Valley. Life is slow. Harlingen is Harlingen, nothing happens here.
I wouldn't even listen to what myharlingenews writes, nothing but bums, whinners, unemployed, dreamers, liars, idiots, who don't have a job, blog with Chapaneco.
Well, Mr. Editor, time to head to Las Casuelas for Mexican Guevos Rancheritos. That will last untill around 4pm.

Anonymous said...

Back in the early 1960's having air cond. was a Luxury. I remember those days.

Anonymous said...

I used to go a place called Joe Vers's Blue Moon in Pharr. It was a dance hall, where the chicks showed up in their petticoats. I was a stud back then.

Anonymous said...

Know about coming home. I lived away from Brownsville in the 80s up in Houston. Came back and nothing had changed. oh, well.

Anonymous said...

that Chapa fool is just a jealous puppy. He sees the Tribune and knows he'll never be as good. Chapa is little league compared to Alcatraz. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

Chapetengo, is a loser, a non-achiever, who spreads hatred. He is no more than a lose cannon ball, trying to find a place to land. His lap dog, is some character name jaky, who defends him, like a canine defending her puppies. Pobres sonsonetes.

Anonymous said...

Excellent story. Chapa is a hateful man, the most hated in his own town. How he tries to look like he isn't is the joke. We're all laughing at this smurf.

Anonymous said...

interesting comment in a Brownsville blog about Tony Chapa and Jake. Seems Jake wants tony in the backseat of his car naked and looking away. well, now we know why they're so close. I'm not surprised.

Anonymous said...

I too was starting to wonder about that close but blind relationship between Tony and Jake. After Jake's numerous references fantasizing about homosexual rape, he mentioned something about his "wife" (although I realize that coming from a prison guard background, Jake could be using the word loosely). I just wanted to say to "her", "Honey, I don't care what your gender is or how deformed you are, you can do better than Jake!!!" M

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that jakey is forever speaking about homosexuality. Or making suggestive comments about men. He must have a lose screw somewhere in his perverted mind. I am glad, he doesn't blog here. He reminds me of trailer park trash.
Chapenco, well that guy was born with a lose screw.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

ANONYMOUSES:...Well, that's a sparkler. A naked Tony chapa and Jake cavorting in backseat of Jake's car? Is that really true? really, Tony? Wow! Who woulda thunk it? Wasn't Chapa's main mission to clean up Harlingen? What's he doing getting involved in an alleged sordid affair. Is he? Perhaps all is lost with that blowhard blogger. Tony & Jake. Yeah, people are talking... - Editor

Anonymous said...

Patrick, why does that surprise you? Those two boys are a little weird, you know. Dos locos. I wonder where they park. Let's see if Chapa writes a story about him and Jake. he won't. Sonso.

Anonymous said...

You're going to make him paranoid. He could lose it and go postal. I say ignore him. his blog is dead. No one reads it anymore.

Anonymous said...

jake doesn't post on Jerry deals's blog anymore. Did deal ban him? good! Tony deserves him. and Jake will turn on Tony after he uses him for his BS.

Anonymous said...

Will there be a Tribune story about these two lovebirds? we can't wait. Chapa has burned every bridge in Harlingen. talk about a BIG zero.

Anonymous said...

hey, when is the Tribune travelling to the Valley? we coulod use some local stories like about our politics, resturants and the border culture. football is over, so we need entertainment. Think about it.

Anonymous said...

You should post something ahead of your stories so we know what's coming. No other blog does that in the valley. It would help readers get into it. Love your photography, BTW.

Anonymous said...

The love birds found each other, wowowow, what a pair of lose screws, both. Chanmpaneco, y su novia Jakey the tutti frutti.