AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In Panama For Elaine's Burial, Former Tribune Editor Patrick Alcatraz Tries To Grieve...

By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Special to The Tribune

PANAMA CITY, Panama - I rang the doorbell at the home I'd only known for a few days. Elaine's frail grandmother opened it and let me in after a few slow-motioned seconds, her deep-brown eyes scanning my face in rapid-fashion, as if deciding whether to do it or not do it. I was back here for Elaine's funeral, and perhaps for a bit of reflection about all that had happened in the previous week. It comes late, but natural to a grieving man, this desire to look inward - even when it hasn't been a part of the rolling personality.

Elaine Benitez was gone and her killer, my friend Ron Mexico's kid, now languished in a Panamanian prison hellhole. How had it come to this? Could it have been, as everyone who knew everybody involved believed, simply because of my love for Elaine. Elaine was a widow at the time of our first flirtation! How could anyone take offense? Perhaps, I told myself, I just don't have the smarts to figure that one out.

I walked into the grandmother's home and she motioned me toward the small living room. I wasn't feeling very sociable, but figured this is what is expected of me at this time. Sometimes, I am good at that; other times I am not. We began a small, whispered conversation. I asked about the cemetery and she told me Elaine would go in alongside her dad. Her Mom had been buried next to her second husband, a military man, mainly because she had been married to him longer than she'd been married to Elaine's dad. I asked about the headstone and the grandmother went on and on, describing it in beautiful detail.

And then I inhaled deeply and said I had to go.

"Why?" she asked in a nice, but worried voice.

"I left the engine on," I said.

"But you don't even have a car!" she told me...

 - 30 -

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the very bottom of my strong Heart... i give my deepest condolences to all THE TRIBUNE personnel from all these sad and sorry events. Time had gone from bad to worst, is this a signal from a spiritual entity... I hope that " EL CUCUY " is Not planning something bad in what is rest of the Sexy ladies that work in this great E - editorial !!!

I can feel your pain... My prayers are with you all... I can see the Lioght at the end of The Tunnel !!!

Ya Supe Lupe said...

Eliot, Alcatraz, is having a blast, he is putting up a big front. I have a feeling, that when Ron Jr. goes through the interrogation process, he is going to point to Patrick.
Alcatraz, does not have the smallest clue about grieving.

Big Brother Jonesy said...

ENOUGH, I SAY ENOUGH, Brother Jonesy, has had it, with the constant bashing of Patrick. I don't know the gentleman myself, but it isn't his fault that adventurous women, looking for romance following him.
Brother Jonesy, during his younger years, had himself quiet a few damsels, Betsy Lou, was my last true love. Okay, so she a few teeth missing, but she was from Virginia, as was Jamie Lee, who didn't like to wear cologne. She was gone faster that I could count to five.
Fact is, women were made to serve man, period, and if the hot blooded Benitez was looking for fun she found it.
Charlene,Darlene, Lupe and all the other women, that have been trying to villify, patrick, time to stop.
Oh, to Mr. Maracas, yes, had myself some fun with Tishia 35 years young, she was like wild fire, from New ORleans, and at the moment, lydia is my squeeze, I mean my latest friend, she is only 49 years young.

Sister Sara said...

Brother Jones, you are the scum of the earth. How do you measure yourself?? by the number of women you sleep with??
You facist pig, you publically admits to taking medication, to be and feel like a man.
Yea, you sound like the hillbillies in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina.
Why don't you do us a favor, and go back, to the toothless women, the bare footed, the 300lbs women that take you like a fool.
Brother Jonesy, my rear, go back to New Orleans
and take Patrick with you.

Anonymous said...

Easy on Brother Jonesy, of course, no one approves the way Brother Jonsey is living, the life of "Sin", but hey brother Jonesy, knows what he is, white trailer park trash. Someone wrote, he lives on a 10x20 travel trailer.
He is disabled, weighs over 300 lbs. Smokes, drinks cheap wine, drinks Natural beer, the cheapest beer in town, 99 cent special.
Brother Jonesy, they have trailer parks in Harlingen, where you would feel right at home. Santa Maria is to good for you. They have plenty that would take you in with open arms.
I warn you, if Lydia is hispanic, she, "has to go."