AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

And Then It Was Over:...Sissy Was all Dressed Up And Everywhere To Go...You Could Wonder, Or You Could Go Ahead And Roll With It...

By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Editor-In-Chief

COMBES, Texas - You can look at Life from behind a load of lenses, from clear ones and from darkened ones, from a wide world of perspectives, from every single prejudice moving along your veins, from every window, from every point on the ground. But what I always found in my travels and in my relationships with Human Beings is this - it's okay to want to see everything through those neat rose-colored glasses, the ones that paint over the bad, the worst, the cheap and the ugly.

It's late in the year, everybody's gone or dead or missing. Things are ending here today, and all I know is that I'm sticking with Sissy Estrada for as long as she'll have me. A case can now be made for believing that things at times end well. It'll be a trip, is what Sissy has told me. I'm okay with everything that may or may not mean.

Any woman who can look at the future and smile in love after her mobile home has burned down cannot be all bad. She is over boyfriend Junior Bonner in a Big Way. I wish he'd passed-on in a much different manner, but perhaps finding yourself at the bottom of the North Sea is a new way for a cowboy to say adios. Someone else will miss Ol' Junior. We're back from an early-morning jaunt to the beach east of here, and, yeah, that sunrise played nicely from behind those rose-colored glasses. Sissy is in the living room of my place, all dressed up and everywhere to go.

The Tribune is history. The offices were packed and shuttered last night. It's an ending, not the best in the eyes of a few, but an ending just the same.

I've told Sissy I'll do my dangest to be a good boy from here on out and what she said was, "Well, we'll pretty much have to wait and see..." Someone who knew me from way back once said that all that could ever hold me for any length of time was a killer snowstorm. Who knows about that? I doubt it, is what I'd say. But if we go simply on thoughts, well, that's somewhere in the ballpark of whatever it is that could hold me. I'm intrigued this time, however.

It's as I like to say, "Something has to end so that something new can begin..."


- 30 -

5 comments:

sessi said...

I wish you well, in your travels. Everyone, passed on to a better life.

Gladys Morganfield said...

Oh, please don't go, dear Patrick. We'll all miss you so!

Brother Jonesy said...

Patrick, come on now,just when I was begining to use some of your poetry on some of the nice gals, well a little overweight, but you get the message. And now you are packing and moving on.
Come on my man, climbing mountains is not an easy task, unless you are going to write a novel.
Even brother jonesy, who made nothing but d's in high school enjoys your articles.
Okay, go have a good wine, get drunker that heck, roll around the hay, but don't leave your readers hanging.

sessi said...

Alcatraz did you burned the double wide just to take Sissi with you, you little Raschal, to bad you are going to be gone.
Otherwise, Sister Sara Lee was going to send you special invitation to her place of redemption.(I am being funny).
Well, I am going to miss you, I am also going to miss; your articles, your combatiness, and your opinions on the hispanic culture, your opinions on the city of harlingen.
And I hope you come back, I realize your novels take you to different places.
Oh!! by the way, you have some supporters, read myharlingenews. They have posted your good-by. Well, out the door and heading to the gym, than breakfast, then time to earn money. (And life continues)

Sister Sara Lee said...

May God bless you and may you find happiness, in this long and winding road we call life. And don't take life to serious, you made a lot of friends in these "Valle de Lagrimas."
Your positions in many of topic you wrote were noble. And one of these days, when you are finish looking for a place to settle down or look for honest and sincere happiness , bring Sissi, and come back home. I am sure you will know how to reach us.