AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shocked By Criticism Aimed At Tribune Writer Junior Bonner, His Gal & Family Respond...

By ELIOT ELCOMEDOR
Editor-In-Chief

COMBES, Texas - Well, well, well. It appears our old friend Junior Bonner has his loyal friends and lovers. And they're coming out of the woodwork in his defense. Seems the Bonner family and girlfriend have taken offense with Tribune readers who have criticized the Ol' cowboy. They say he's no old goat.

"If they knew Junior like I know Junior, well, they wouldn't be saying those mean things about him," said his girlfriend Sissy Estrada (shown above). "Junior Bonner is loads better than any abusive Hispanic man around here, and there are many, many of those. Why don't they pick on those losers? My last boyfriend is in prison for robbing a finance company in Brownsville and for beating-up a woman from Mexico. Junior's never robbed anyplace or taken a hand to any woman."

More came from Junior's brother, Hargis Bonner (shown wearing his favorite yellow snap-button shirt), who also joined the fray, rifling a string of Emails to The Tribune from his home in Alamosa, Colorado.

"Junior may look like a broken-down cowpoke, but he's a tough, good man," Hargis wrote. "You ask around here and you'll see how Junior's helped this community in a variety of ways. He'd donate half of his winnings to the local schools when he was cowboying up in Wyoming. And many people down there likely don't know he served his country as a tank commander in the Army. If they're judging him only on looks, well, they should look at me. The Rio Grande Valley must be full of pretty people, is all I have to say."

Junior Bonner was taking it all in stride.

"I'm not a poster boy for New York colognes or newfangled tennis shoes," he said. "And you won't find me at the beach, but I'm okay with living where I'm living. You gotta be from somewheres, no? So, some of these women find me a sight for sore eyes. Is that it? Can't figure it out, rightly. Sissy says they're criticizing me, so who knows? I ain't got time for such nonsense, partner. My job is to write stories and I'm on it."

As he readied his muddied El Camino for a drive into Harlingen, Junior Bonner drew on a bit of range philosophy to place things in perspective: "All I know is that hundred-proof whiskey is a cowboy's color TV..."

- 30 -

6 comments:

sessi said...

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!, you mean Jr. Bonner is going out with a 20 year old woman on the side bar. A hispanic woman??? Like Hellooo, I thought that brother jones, lived in Santa Maria, someone wrote he is nothing but a drunk. He to goes out with nothing but illegals.
I swear, I have read it all. And his brother Amos, is just the opposite, fat, and wearing a yellow shirt, no one wears those shirts anymore.
I still say, I saw him at the pancake house, last night around 7 pm, but he was with two elderly woman. He looked kind of sneaky, maybe he is two timing the young woman. Because one of the woman kept grabbing his arms.

sessi said...

100% pure whiskey, helloo, he is an alcoholic, no wonder he looks horrible. What is a girl like that going out with a man old enough to be her grand pa. Oh boy!!! we live in some crazy world. Jr. Bonner, the next time I see you at Gems, I am going to have a few words with you. Specially, if I see him with those two women.

sessi said...

Jr. please don't go to the beach and wear a bathing suit, heck, the hotels at the Island will ban you. If you look, like the characters of the living dead fully dressed, I can imagine how you would look in a bathing suit, maybe a scare crow, look alike. Sorry Jr. but I have to be honest with you about your sickly appearence.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

SESSI:...Junior tells us he's never been to that restaurant you mentioned. It must've been a Winter Texan you saw, would be our feeling. His girlfriend is a very young 31 and a refugee from a bad marriage to a man from Brownsville who would beat her every time the Dallas Cowboys lost. BTW, he also says he does not own a bathing suit, although he keeps netting-like underwear behind his seat in the El Camino... - Editor

sessi said...

Eliot, look the restaurant is well lighted and the sickly, tall man wearing a big dumb black hat, sat facing me, with a woman on one side and another facing him. This was at Gems Pancake house. On tyler and US.83 & 77. Tall skinny, kind of hunch back.
And his eyes look creepy like that of a drunk. It had to be him. I think he is afraid the young lady is going to kick his butt, when she reads this post. Sorry Jr. It was you. You can deny it, but I say it was you.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

SESSI:...Let it go. You are fast obsessing yourself with Junior Bonner. I don't like cowboys, either, but he's on my reporting staff. Time will tell how long he keeps his job... - Editor