AMERIQUE:


A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: It is the unspoken statistic, but it is as real as anything to do with the lingering U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the military, 1,800 American servicemen have killed themselves since the initial invasion of Baghdad. That is in addition to the more than 4,000 who died in battle. This week, families of the soldiers who committed suicide asked President Barack Obama to change the government policy of not forwarding letters of appreciation to mothers and fathers of these servicemen. By week's end, the White House had reversed the policy and agreed that such letters are needed, as well... - Eduardo Paz-Martinez, Editor of The Tribune

Friday, December 10, 2010

In One Of Those Rare Moments, He Looks To The Edges Of Life And Spots A Small, Neat Object...

By PATRICK ALCATRAZ
Editor-In-Chief

ELSEWHERE - I'm not much of a hot tea drinker these days, having exhausted my taste for Red Zinger years ago. Celestial Seasonings packaged and sold it, and I grew to know exactly where to find it at my local grocery store, wherever it was I was at any given time.

I believe it was an old college friend who introduced it to me. One cold, winter day while at that Lake of The Pines cabin we shared a few weekends, I'm sure. She had a flare for drawing me to places I'd never have gone alone, that girl. Who knows where she is these days? Like my love of RZ, she, too, vanished from one winter freeze to the next. Winter clothing is what she turned out to be, although if I think deeply about her, I'm sure there were a few redeeming qualities in that California woman.

In any case, I thought of hot tea when I saw the neat cup in the photo shown above. The imagery of enjoying that design, of playing with a woman's lovely legs, sent me reeling, as those lustful things tend to do.

Perhaps that cup would toss me back into the world of tasty teas. It's an insular society that suffers no fools. You see a person sipping hot tea and you know, well, you know something about that person. What that may be depends entirely on the setting, whether a lakeside cabin or a sidewalk cafe in Paris. We don't see many hot tea drinkers in the RGVofTexas. Maybe because you'd have to drink a few gallons to get a buzz, buzz being the required ingredient. Who knows?

It's cold and I just didn't feel like writing about anything anywhere near serious. It happens.

Plus, the year's almost over, and it's a time to angle over toward the bar and down that last one. Drink up...

- 30 -

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Patrick Alcatraz. remember Juan Montoya, yes he is at the slammer. If you drink, don't drive, the Puzzle palace is no joke.
Someone is having a fund raiser, to buy toys for Montoya's kids.
What a shame, just when I thought beer joints, were going out of business. Juan Montoya does away with my theory. El siete Mares, is alive and well, as is the 1-2-3, La movida Bar, The Palms, el dime, etc.

Patrick Alcatraz said...

ANONYMOUS:...Seeing someone you know go to jail is not something most people enjoy. Juan Montoya will get his second chance at staying on the right side of the law and on the good side of his family. We all make mistakes, but that is no excuse. Here's hoping Juan's kids have a Merry Christmas... - Editor

Anonymous said...

That picture on the side bar, with taqueria chupacabra, has to be in Matamoros. I know the Valley, slums down a time or two. But the writing is not Tex-Mex. The writing on the Marquee on that truck is to well written and in Spanish.
Jugos, tacos, manzanas, anyone, it looks like one of the vendors who sell food at the Harlingen Flea Marquette.
LOL, where do you find this stuff???

Anonymous said...

And I thought I had heard it all, Chupacabra, that is a new for me. Taqueria, Chupacabra, doesn't say what type of tacos they sell. Cabra tacos maybe, oh, well who cares, tacos or tacos.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Editor, I hope you are not a hanging around those cheap bars in Brownsville. From your writings you have a little too much class. I can't believe, those dippy joints attract so many people, why??? They are ugly, and uuggghhh.
Well, I meant they attract sooo many men.

Anonymous said...

So Patrick are you still in New York City??? Man you sure move around fast and furious. We understand you are a, "wordly man".
But NY may prove to be harder to conquer than the LRGV. "Quit this nonsense about closing the Tribune."
sofia